Saturday, January 2, 2010

These Boots Were Made For Walkin'

It seems that one of the most popular Christmas gifts this year was boots. Maybe not. Maybe I'm just saying that because I received three pairs. Either way, I'm not complaining. This brings my total number of pairs of boots owned to six. Six! I feel like that sounds like a really high number, but I have to remind myself that this little collection started over two years ago. So that's not too bad, right? And, to be even fairer to myself, two of these pairs are very practical - warm, waterproof snow boots and a sensible (but cute!) pair of rubber rain boots. The other four pairs, well...I'll be honest, I just love the way they look.


My favorites are this pair of dark brown, leather riding boots. I LOVE these boots. I got them about two years ago, and they are the first pair of boots I ever bought for myself. I brought them with me when I was in Italy last year and I wore them almost every day. These boots were made for walking, walking, walking and that’s exactly what they’ve done. I have stomped across Italy, Ireland, Paris and Barcelona, as well as New York and Boston in these babies. I’ve literally worn these boots until they have holes in the soles, the heels are cracking, and the leather is starting to wear away on the side. I know. I’m a terrible owner, aren’t I? The truth is, it seems like one day I woke up and these boots were suddenly in a terrible state of disrepair. I know I need to get them fixed but I can’t find a cobbler that I like and one who won’t charge me an arm and a leg. I’ll never give them up though. They’re too fabulous.

The Boots in Assisi, Barcelona, Paris, Dublin, and San Gimignano

What is it about boots? For me it’s the polish they add to any outfit. The right pair of boots adds a level of sophistication to an outfit and pulls together a complete look. Boots are like the cherry on top of the sundae. I tend to lean towards a more classic boot. I want longevity, something I’ll be able to wear for years...until there are holes in the soles! For the most part, I like my boots knee high and not too tight around my calf because I like to tuck my jeans into them. I also like a slightly thicker, more sturdy heel, regardless of the height. And little to no embellishments for me. As for colors, I find rich brown, black and grey to be best. I leave brighter, bolder colors for my pumps. Although how great would a pair of slouchy red leather boots be? I’d also really love a nice pair of ankle boots or booties to wear with tights and a cute mini.


What do you think? How do you wear your boots and what are your favorite styles?

No comments:

Post a Comment