Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bon Apetit!

My friends and family used to be stunned by the number of movies I saw at the theatre. At one point I was going to the movies at least once a week and I saw all the new releases the minute they came out. But over the last year a serious lack of time and funds have prevented me from staying on top of my movie watching. Which is why I just this morning saw Julie & Julia. FINALLY! With my love of cooking (and blogging!) I cannot believe it took me this long to see this movie. And I seriously loved it.


I thought Amy Adams as Julie Powell was charming. A little whiney, but charming nonetheless. Meryl Streep. What else can you say but her name? She was fantastic, as always. While I know who Julia Child is, she was a little before my time, and Streep brought her to life with such vivacity and spirit that I couldn't help but love her. She made Julia real and accessible to me. And how great was Stanley Tucci as her husband? I absolutely loved their relationship. They were beyond adorable, and from what I've read Julia and Paul Child's relationship was really that wonderful. I think the whole Julie/Julia Project was such a great idea. I would love to do something like that! But I have a feeling it would get a little expensive. Also - best line of the movie - "These damn things are hotter than a stiff cock!" Hilarious!

But let's talk about the real star of the film - THE FOOD. I will not lie, I found myself salivating more than once while watching Julie & Julia. There's a scene towards the beginning of the movie where Julie and her husband are talking about her starting her own blog, and during the entire scene they are chowing down on the most incredible looking homemade bruschetta on piece of thick, crusty, toasted bread. I was dying. Also - that chocolate cake with the almonds? Gorgeous.

I was definitely inspired to do some serious cooking. Well...not today...I have no groceries, haha. But I have a TON of recipes that I've been meaning to make and after watching Julie & Julia I can't wait to get in the kitchen and get cooking. Bon Apetit!

1 comment:

  1. Looooooooooooooove this movie! I can't believe you hadn't seen it till now!

    ReplyDelete