Monday, January 11, 2010

The Beginning of the End of an Era

Today was the first day of my last semester of college. It's actually the beginning of the beginning of a new era, but... I don't know, it's a weird feeling! I thought going to a 5 year school was the smart thing to do, but now that I'm almost done I sometimes wonder if it was. It seemed like it would give me more time to figure out what I want to do with my life...WRONG. It just gave me more time to put off figuring out what I want to do with my life!

One of the hardest things for me has been this extra fifth year. If I had doubled-up on my classes last spring, I could have graduated in 2009. Because the economy and the job market were so awful at this time last year, I opted to do a second co-op, finish classes this spring and graduate in May 2010. In this way I was able to get more work experience, make a little bit o
f money, but still be considered a full-time student. All of my friends that graduated last spring kept telling me how lucky I was to have an extra year, but it didn't always feel that way. In addition to working at the co-op from hell, I also struggled with the fact that the majority of my friends had already graduated from college. While they've been working, making money, and starting the rest of their lives, I've been in this weird limbo for the better part of a year. There have been a lot of times that I've just felt stuck.

Another difficulty I'm facing now is that I haven't been in classes since the middle of April. Last year! I've been in work mode for the last 8-9 months and I do NOT want to go back to classes now. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy learning and some of the discussions that take place in class, but all of the reading, projects, and papers...no thanks!


Even so, I'm so happy this last semester is finally underway. I feel like I'm finally moving forward with my life, which is always a great thing. Although I will admit it - I do have some anxiety about what comes next. I know I'll figure it out, but until I do I'll be a little stressed about it. My roommates and I are all graduating this spring, so that's something special we'll be able to share. Since I'm back on campus for the first time in a what seems like forever, I look forward to rekindling friendships and doing a lot of senior activities (and by activiti
es I mean PARTIES!). Plus it's the start of a new year and, like I said in one of my previous posts, I have feeling that 2010 is going to be an absolutely fantastic year.

Now off to read 17th Century British Poetry... yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment