Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Quick Weeknight Dinner

I am in desperate need of groceries. I haven't gone shopping since before Christmas and my cupboards are looking pretty bleak. Luckily I keep a few key ingredients on hand and I was able to make a great little dinner yesterday. My go-to dinner when I don't feel like cooking or have nothing else to make is, like any good Italian girl, PASTA. Che buono! So last night I whipped up a quick little bolognese.

I don't measure anything while I cook unless I'm following a specific recipe, so most nights I'm in the kitchen just throwing in a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

To start off, I brown some ground beef in a pan. While that is cooking, I chop up some garlic, onion, carrot (and usually celery, but I didn't have any last night). I cut the clove of garlic into 3 or 4 big chunks because I love the flavor of garlic but I don't like to actually eat it, so this makes it easier for me to pull it out when I'm finished cooking.

When the meat is almost done cooking, I add in the veggies. At this point I also add in salt and pepper, and I let that cook until the veggies are tender and the meat has a nice brown crust. Then I pour in red wine and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

I poured a little vino for myself too!

Once the wine has reduced, I add tomato sauce and some dried basil that I grew over the summer. At this point I put the water on for the pasta and turn the heat on the sauce down to a low simmer. By the time the pasta is finished cooking, the sauce has simmered long enough that all of the flavors have combined. And taaadaaa! You've got yourself a delicious little dinner.

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment