Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Adventures of Little Domey Wallbanger

Sorry I've been MIA the past few days! This weekend I did something that I've always wanted to do... I'm taking a bar tending class! The classes are normally $445, but my friend Ashley and I found an amazing deal (we're talking like 75% off) so we decided to do it.

We're taking the course at DrinkMaster. It's only been two days (our course just started yesterday), but I am seriously impressed with this company. The staff is so knowledgeable and they have put all of us completely at ease. They have a full bar totally set up and we're able to get tons of hands on experience. You can tell that they really want us to learn and they're very enthusiastic about what their teaching. All in all, it's a great learning environment.

I've learned to make a lot of mixed drinks and what's even more interesting to me is to find out that there really is a science behind all of it. Once you learn the proper ratios, you can make anything. I spent half of yesterday and almost all of today behind the bar making drinks. Not real drinks. All of the bottles are filled with water, some have dye to make them look like the actual liquor. At first I thought that was weird...how can you learn to be a bartender without any booze?! But I realized pretty quickly that it would be insane to use to use real liquor. The minute we finish making one drink, we dump it down the drain and make it again. Practice makes perfect! And I'm pretty sure it's one of the 7 deadly sins to waste alcohol like that.

As we were flipping through our coursebook, we noticed one drink in particular - a Harvey Wallbanger. I just burst out laughing. The drink itself is not something I want to drink - it sounds awful - but come on! That name is hilarious! Ash immediately said it was my new nickname and from there it turned into Little Domey Wallbanger. And Ashley is now Little Flashy Wallbanger. Haha, I love it - so funny!


The Wallbanger Sisters

We have two more classes left next weekend, and then Ashley and I will be certified bartenders. Look out Boston!

1 comment: