Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Little Jaunt to Littly Italy

I had a doctor's appointment the other day. Doctor's appointments aren't normally that fun. Except when your doctor's office is on Hanover Street in the North End and you get to hang out with little old Italians in the waiting room.

My conversation with the receptionist went a little something like this:
Me: I have an appointment with at 11 am with Doctor ****.
Receptionist: *Looks at the computer and then eyes me suspiciously* What's you name?
Me: Domenica
Receptionist: You have a very old name. Very old. Where you get a name like that?
Me: *Tells the whole story*
Receptionist: I see you name on the schedule and I expect an old woman, not a young lady. We have two other patients with that name - one is 87, the other? 94. Old maids.

Wonderful.

My appointment was just a quick check-up, so I had a little bit of time to walk around and get some lunch. I love the North End. It's probably over stating the point to say that it's one of my favorite places on earth, but it's true. I love it. When I was walking around, I noticed that everyone I passed on the sidewalk nodded at me. Perhaps it was Italian men being, well, Italian men. But I like to think that they recognize me as part of their unique cultural tribe. A kindred spirit in our shared ancestry.

For lunch I got a sandwich from a little shop on a side street. Prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil on ciabatta. All drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. I ate half for lunch and saved the other half for dinner.

It reminded me of a sandwich I used to get for lunch Perugia every other day from a place on via dei Priori called Parma. I have dreams about those sandwiches.

And I want to go back.
So I'm going to.

I've decided that before this year is out, I am going to make it back to Italy. Back to Perugia. And to Anagni. City of Popes and home to my family. I need to find some birth certificates after all...
:)

1 comment:

  1. I've been craving Parma lately. I've been going to Sessa's, which is near my house, but it doesn't quite cut it. What is this sandwich shop you went to?

    ReplyDelete