Thursday, May 20, 2010

Red Does NOT Mean Go (or, my favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies)

My brother has a friend named Mark. They met playing hockey (I think) and have been friends since they were little kids. And just about as long as they've been friends, Mark has been in love with me. I know this - let's be honest, everyone knows this - because he's not shy about it. At all. To be fair, I don't think he's actually in love with me. Thinks I'm hot? Sure. But I think it's more about the forbidden lure of getting with your best friend's older sister. And I think it drives Mac crazy, which he obviously gets a kick out of. I've heard many a story about things he's said in the locker room about me. Always respectful though, because that's the way Mark rolls. He honestly is a great guy and when I start searching for a husband, he's the first one I'll call.

Last night I got on Facebook and the strangest picture showed up on my news feed. A picture of Mark lying on a gurney, wearing a neck brace and giving a thumbs up with the caption: "Got hit by a cab at full speed. Yes, I won the fight." ...What?! After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I commented on the photo saying, "Is this real?! Do I need to come nurse you back to health???" He immediately sent me a little Facebook chat and our convo went something like this:


Mark: yes and I've been waiting my whole life to hear you ask me that
Me: hahah
Me: oh my god what happened?!
Me: are you alright?
Mark: a cab ran through a red light as I was crossing the street, hit me going full speed, I went like 10ft up in the air and 20ft out, definitely got a concussion but no broken bones
Me: ohhh myyy goddd!
Me: I'm making you cookies. what's your address?
Mark: [address]
Me: any requests?
Mark: oatmeal chocolate chip
Mark: please
Me: you got it
Mark: throw yourself in there and really make my day
Me: I'll see what I can do

True to my word, I whipped up a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. These are some of the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I've ever had. I got the recipe from my wonderful friend and former roommate Kaci (who is attending pastry school in the fall!). And the best part? There aren't any eggs in the recipe, so you can eat all the dough you want -- YUM!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup chocolate chip cookies
Mix ingredients together, pop onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Luckily, one of my roommates had a super cute shoebox I was able to pack the cookies in. I even included a little note. Get well soon, Marky!



No comments:

Post a Comment