Saturday, May 15, 2010

Eggs in a Basket? Forget About It!

Anyone who knows me, even just the tiniest bit, knows that my absolute, all-time favorite movie ever - one I've literally seen more times than I can count - is Moonstruck. Yes, the movie with Cher in it. You probably know this because I bring it up any chance I get. Every problem and situation in life can be better understood through the lens of Moonstruck. This is a fact. As far as I'm concerned, anyway. One of the biggest draws for me is that it centers around an Italian-American family. I can't help but be reminded of my own family - the rapport we have with one another, the stories, the laughs, the family dinners. If you're ever in a rut or don't know what to make for dinner, just watch this movie. The last time I watched it I was inspired to make "eggs in a basket" just like my grandmother used to make for me when I was little.

A screen-cap of Rose Castorini (Olympia Dukakis) making eggs in a basket for she and her daughter, Loretta (Cher).

I hadn't had eggs in a basket in years and, to be honest, I've never made them myself! I w
atched the scene from Moonstruck a couple times and figured how hard could it be? I got in the kitchen and got right to work.

I used a small juice glass to create holes in two pieces of bread. I wish I'd had some thick, crusty bread like in the the movie but all I had was whole wheat sandwich bread and it turned out just fine. I lightly toasted the bread in a skillet and when I flipped them I cracked the eggs in the holes! After a few minutes I carefully flipped them and sprinkled some cheddar cheese on top.



A quick, delicious and nostalgic breakfast - yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment