Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Arts & Crafts

I love DIY projects. I lurve them, I loave them, I luff them.
Maybe it's the girl scout in me.
Exhibit A:

Necklace I made using plastic lanyard, some beads, stickers and an empty film canister. Accents my nylon windbreaker nicely.
[Side note: Remember film canisters? God, I used to hoard those things. And they smelled kind of chemical-y and cool. How amazing and sad that kids these days have no idea what they are...]

A few weeks ago, I was in a store that had a variety of items made from recycled newspapers. They also had these woven coasters made out of old magazines. For like $25. And I looked at them and thought, "I can do that."

So I did. I admit, I had to Google it because I wasn't sure just how to get it started. But after I figured out how to put the first two pieces in place the rest just fell together.

I started by gathering different magazine pages with the same color schemes. Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Blues, Purples, Pinks, Blacks and Whites. Each page gets cu
t in half lengthwise.



Then folded in half, and then into thirds.



Then weave away.



Ta daaa!



Now I just need to go to a craft store and get some kind of spray to make them water resistant. And hope that my roommates don't think I'm a crazy person when I proudly bring them out into our living room to add to our decor... Guess we'll find out next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment