Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Academy Awards

My favorite Sunday of the year. It's the Superbowl, World Series, and Stanley Cup all rolled into one. OSCAR NIGHT! The Oscars were a couple days ago, but I'm still glowing from their aftermath. The glitz, the glamour, the films. I can't get enough.

I was so excited to see Anne Hathaway (one of my favs!) and James Franco host this year. I didn't know what to expect but I was holding out hope that they'd surprise us all and be amazing. I shouldn't have held my breath. I think the highlight of their hosting was Franco hulking out in a full Gentlemen Prefer Blondes get-up. Sadly it only lasted approximately 7 seconds.

All that aside, I thought the show was great. Most of the actors and films I was rooting for won and I got to drink a lot of wine with my friends. Good night, no? All that's left is to share my (not so) expert opinion on this year's Oscar fashion.

Confession: I am not a fan of Scarlett Johansson. I think she's completely overrated as an actress and Ryan Reynolds (swoon!) can do a lot better. So is it bad that when I saw her show up on the red carpet wearing...that, I omitted a tiny squeal of glee because I thought she looked so horrible?

God. Damn. The woman is going to be 66 years old. SIXTY SIX! She is practically flawless. Maybe it's something about a Vivienne Westwood gown and the way it drapes over a woman's curves, but I can only hope that when I get to be her age I am half as sophisticated, and sexy, as she is.

Yikes.
That is all.

Hi, Marissa. While you look amazing for your age, you are 47. And it is not the prom.

Even to people that know me very well, my obsession with Celine Dion makes little sense.
(Unless you're James. Then you'd understand because you share the obsession.)
She is like a strange, gorgeous French Canadian alien that came down to grace us with her presence. When I heard she'd be singing at the Academy Awards I was ecstatic. Then she showed up in this dress by Giorgio Armani Prive and I died. How beautiful!

I usually love Amy Adams red carpet choices. This is no different, I think the dress is absolutely stunning, but the styling is way, way off. I read that her Cartier jewelry is worth over $1.25 million, but it's just too much. Hair up and some more simple stud earrings and this look would have been a top contender.

I just about died when I saw Cate Blanchett walk onto the red carpet. And I mean that in the best possible way. People either loved or hated this Givenchy Couture dress, and I'm happy to say I am wholeheartedly in the first group. I think Cate looks unbelievable.

I can't say I'm really feeling this look, Annie. I love that you embrace your pale skin and dark hair (I embrace mine, too!), but this just makes you look washed out and tired. And the dress, I know it's vintage Valentino, but I think you could have done better. Luckily you made up for it during the broadcast. Honestly, out of all your looks, this was my favorite:
Lanvin tuxedo and sparkling Brian Atwood heels? Yes, please.

And finally, my pick for best dressed of the evening...

Mila Kunis is lovely and sexy as all hell in Elie Saab Haute Couture.
It's kind of not fair that some people are that good looking.

P.S. Thank you Perez for all of the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment