Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bath and Jane Austen

While I was in Wales, I hopped over to England for a day to take a trip to Bath.


I've never been to England before, so I was super excited to make my first trip there. Bath is an absolutely gorgeous city, actually an ancient city, founded by the Romans and gets its name from the Roman Baths in the center of the city. You can read about them here.



This is a wishing well inside the Roman Baths. So pretty, right? The well is actually like 10 meters deep and look how full it is with coins! Maybe I'm exaggerating...maybe it's only 3, but still! So many wishes!


While I'm a huge history nerd, I'm even more of an English major nerd. Have you ever heard the term "Janeite?" A lovely term used to describe only the most hardcore Jane Austen fans. After my trip to Bath, I think I've joined the ranks!

Here I am standing outside The Jane Austen Centre. Jane visited Bath many times throughout her life and actually there for about five years. The Jane Austen Centre is dedicated to telling the story of her time there. Apparently Jane's intimate knowledge of the city is reflected in Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, two Austen novels I've yet to read - eeks!


After tea and sandwiches and forcing myself to walk away from the gift shop and not spend every penny I had there, I spent the rest of the day walking around Bath, visiting museums, and taking ohhhh, 300 photos. Take a look!


The Royal Crescent.




The AMAZING fashion museum.


Pulteney Bridge over the River Avon


Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment