Saturday, December 11, 2010

Homemade Christmas Ornaments

Remember when you were a little kid and you used to make ornaments for your mom? The kind you rolled out and used cookie cutters for, and then decorated them with glue and glitter once they'd been baked?

I made some.


No, I'm not cheap. And yes, I love giving homemade gifts. But the real reason I made them is because my mom called me sobbing one night because their Christmas tree fell over. A lot of ornaments broke, but the ones that she was most upset about - the ones that made her cry - were the ornaments my brother and I made for her when we were little kids. So obviously I had to make some replacements.

I used this recipe from McCormick.com and stained my hands red and green for about 3 days.

I didn't have cookie cutters (I know, ridiculous), so I had to find another way to shape the ornaments. Guess who traced patterns off her laptop, cut them all out, traced said templates onto the rolled out dough, and cut each individual ornament out with a parring knife? Oh yeah.


But look how great they turned out!




Now shhhh.. don't tell my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment